10 June 2008

Things have been quiet around here...

Compass faithful, I have not had a chance to post here in a while, and I apologize. I have been trying to find some time to put up some posts, but I recently took a new job in College Park, and I'm still tweaking the schedule.

The b.santos family also took a great vacation. We had a lot of fun, and while I was there, I took this picture:

Space Mountain 2008

I thought it looked like a great idea for a new Columbia Association headquarters.


As many local bloggers have posted (really too many to link to, just go to HoCo Blogs and check them all out), it's really hot out there. I wanted to share my own personal heatwave story. After arriving at work this morning, I left an Altoids tin on the dash of my car. The tin sat on my dashboard all afternoon. After work, I got in my car and popped two Altoids in my mouth. It was like putting peppermint flavored hot coals in my mouth.

In the fond memories catagory, one of the coolest fad buys from the early '70s, Wacky Packs, is the subject of a new book. How did I come across this tidbit of info (take the time, have a listen "centimeter-stones," very cool), from only the best NPR show that you can't hear on terrestrial radio in the Baltimore/Washington area. OK, I could have just hyperlinked to the Bryant Park Project, but the show really deserves to be mentioned by typing it out. The BPP currently can only be heard via Sirius satellite radio or online, but it is well worth a listen. For those who are social network minded, they also have a presence on Facebook, Twitter, and they have a blog.

Oh, and speaking of books, the book premier of "Oh, You Must Live in Columbia!" is coming up Friday. I encourage anyone who loves Columbia street names to stop by.

Anyhoo, I have a lot of stuff to talk about, but need to find the time soon. Keep checking in, the words should flow shortly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wacky Packs! That's a Memory Lane trip. They defined my late elementary school experience. I collected them and poured over them frequently.

Congrats on the new job, Bill! Yay! How lucky your new employer is to have someone of your caliber and integrity on staff.

Hey, my favorite "You must live in Columbia" story is this: I went to SDSU (San Diego) for one semester As I was registering for classes and providing my permanent address (my parents' address in Columbia), the admin person, paused and smirked when I first gave her the street address. When I continued to state my city/state with "Columbia, MD," she shrieked, "I knew it! I lived in Baltimore, and I just knew that had to be a Columbia address." :-)

Anonymous said...

Dude I loved those things! Glad to hear the vacation was good -Pete

Packaging USA said...

The following is a list of historic sites in College Park identified by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.[4] Part of the city is located within the Calvert Hills Historic District; listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002